This sunday the Bengals and Browns tee things up in Cleveland for part one of this year’s battle of ohio. The Browns are certainly on the downward spiral still after a humiliating loss to Pittsburgh last week while the Bengals are looking for another valuable division win early in the season.
But, this is not only a divisional game on the road for Cincy, which is never easy, but it is a rivalry game, and the Brownies should be ready. Before I launch into some key points for our Bengals this weekend, here are some numbers behind this rivalry.
- The Bengals lead the rivalry 34-33
- The Bengals have a current 5 game win streak against the Browns
- The Bengals are 10-6 versus the Browns since the Browns came back into the league as an expansion team in 1999.
- The Bengals are 6-2 under Marvin Lewis against the Browns
Now, here are what we will call the “Keys To Victory” this weekend for the Bengals.
- Rudi Johnson – everyone seems to be highlighting this, and for good reasons, Rudi has a rich history against the Browns and if he tears them up, the Bengals win big. I am expecting 110 and 2 scores from Rudi.
- Bengals Run D – I highlighted this last week and the Bengals D did it’s job, this week they face their old teammated Eric Steinbach on the Browns OL and a familiar rival in Jamal Lewis. Gotta hold Lewis under 75 yards in my opinion. The Bengals held Lewis under 75 both times they faced him last season when he was a Raven.
- Special Teams Play – One of the things that was less than stellar against Baltimore was the play of the special teams. The Bengals gave up the punt return TD to Ed Reed and had injury issues with Graham. Got to have this facet shored up, and now.
Those are our keys to the game, got an opinion?